MARK TWAIN ELEMENTARY
Greg Kaatz, Principal
425 N. Church St
Silverton, Oregon 97381
(503) 873-6341 * FAX (503) 873-8325
August 14, 2015
Dear Mark Twain Families,
I am very excited to welcome you to the 2016-2017 school year at Mark Twain Elementary! We are expecting about 350 K-2 students this year. We are thrilled to welcome a couple of new staff members as well and I encourage you to check out the new staff bulletin board while you are here September 6.
There are a few details for you to be aware of before the first day:
- Our Parent/Student Orientation will be on Tuesday, September 6. Please see attached schedule and note that although there is no school for students September 6, it is very important that a parent or guardian for each child attends. Staff will work with students preparing for their first day while teachers meet with parents/guardians/representatives preparing for a great year.
- Classes begin for 1st and 2nd graders on Wednesday, September 7 and for Kindergarteners on Friday, September 9. Our K students will have private assessment appointments on the 7th and 8th.
- School starts at 8:10am and concludes at 2:30pm. We encourage your child to join us for breakfast at school which we serve daily from 7:45 when doors open until 8:00 when our 1st bell rings.
- Enclosed you will find a postcard that we are asking you return as soon as possible. This information will help us determine the correct bus route or after school destination plan for your child prior to the first day of school. It is essential that these cards are mailed back to school or dropped at the school office as soon as possible. Durham transportation service will be on site during orientation on September 6 to answer any transportation questions you may have.
- Once again, to keep costs affordable to all families, you are asked to send $25.00 with your student to cover the cost of student supplies. This will save families time and money and students will have exactly what they need for the entire year! The only supply we ask you to send is a backpack and we ask that you put your child’s name on or in both backpacks and coats. If either the supply fee or the backpack is a hardship for your family please contact our office manager Debbie.
- Class lists will be posted August 27 after all new students are placed.
I am looking forward to meeting each of our new students and their families as well as visiting with our returning students and families at orientation September 6! If at any time before or during the school year you have questions or concerns, please do call, email, or stop in. We’d love to hear your thoughts as we partner to make this a fantastic year!
Greg Kaatz: Principal Mark Twain Elementary