Welcome Back Letter!
MARK TWAIN ELEMENTARY
Greg Kaatz, Principal
425 N. Church St
Silverton, Oregon 97381
(503) 873-6341 * FAX (503) 873-8325
August 16, 2017
Dear Mark Twain Families,
I am very excited to welcome you to the 2017-2018 school year at Mark Twain Elementary! We are expecting about 330 K-2 students this year. We are thrilled to welcome a couple of new staff members as well and I encourage you to check out the new staff bulletin board while you are here September 5.
There are a few details for you to be aware of before the first day:
- Our Parent/Student Orientation will be on Tuesday, September 5. Please see attached schedule and note that although there is no school for students September 5, it is very important that a parent or guardian for each child attends. Staff will work with students preparing for their first day while teachers meet with parents/guardians/representatives preparing for a great year.
- Classes begin for 1st and 2nd graders on Wednesday, September 6 and for Kindergarteners on Friday, September 8. Our K students will have private assessment appointments on the 6th and 7th. A staff member will call and schedule the Kinder assessments for those students who are currently registered. If you have not registered your child for school, please do so at your earliest convenience.
- School starts at 8:10am and concludes at 2:30pm. We encourage your child to join us for school breakfast, which will be served from 7:45 am, when doors open, until 8:00 am, when our 1st bell rings.
- Enclosed you will find a postcard that we are asking you return as soon as possible. This information will help us determine the correct bus route or after school destination plan for your child prior to the first day of school. It is essential that these cards are mailed back to school or dropped off at the school office as soon as possible. Durham transportation service will be on site during orientation on September 5th to answer any transportation questions you may have.
- Once again, to keep costs affordable to all families, you are asked to send $ 30.00 with your student to cover the cost of student supplies. This will save families time and money and students will have exactly what they need for the entire year! The only supply we ask you to send is a backpack and we ask that you put your child’s name on or in both backpacks and coats. If either the supply fee or the backpack is a hardship for your family please contact our office manager Debbie.
- Class lists are currently posted on the front door at Mark Twain. These lists may change slightly as new students register and classes fill.
First Week of School
September 5th Family Orientation (No regular classes)
September 6th First day of class grades 1 and 2.
September 6th -7th Kindergarten assessment by appointment (Registered Kindergarteners will be
contacted to schedule this assessment)
September 8th First day of class Kindergarten
Orientation Day September 5
In order to maximize staff time with each family, we are asking that families with last names beginning with
A-J attend the morning session and families with last names beginning in K-Z attend the afternoon session. If this creates a hardship for your family, we will happily meet with you during either session.
We ask that you arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the start of your session so that you can check your child in and get to your classroom for a presentation by your child’s teacher. After your presentation, we invite you to visit our gym to take care of transportation, immunizations, registration paperwork, food service plans and paperwork, field trip and classroom volunteer forms, and student supply fees. For your convenience we will have “Special Place” after school program, Durham transportation, Silverton Together, Mark Twain Parent Teacher Club, and Silver Falls YMCA on site as well.
Kindergarten 9:00-9:45 am 1:00-1:45 pm
1st Grade 10:00-10:45 am 2:00-2:45 pm
2nd Grade 11:00-11:45 am 3:00-3:45 pm
Spanish Language Presentations (in classroom #19)
Our literacy theme for this year will be “Pirates”! You will learn more about this at Orientation, but while you are school shopping please be aware that students will be invited to dress up as pirates at least once per month!
Class lists and school supplies
Class lists are currently posted on the front door at Mark Twain. These lists may change slightly as new students register and classes fill. Back by popular demand, you are asked to send just $30 and a backpack with your student to cover the cost of their school supplies. Teachers will shop in bulk and each child will have exactly what they need! If this is a hardship for your family, please let us know and if you are able to cover this cost for another child in our school, we always appreciate the help!
New this year, we are asking parents to please send their child with a personal pair of headphones to be used with an iPad within the classroom. Our school provides an iPad for every child to supplement curriculum, complete monthly district assessments in reading and math, and access technology for various activities throughout the day. Your child’s headphones will be stored separately and used only by your child in the classroom. Again, if this is a hardship for your family, please let us know, and if you are able to supply a pair for another child, that would be greatly appreciated!
Please note that Mark Twain Elementary Parent/Student Orientation is a Title I event. Snacks will be provided and transportation is available upon request!
I am looking forward to meeting each of our new students and their families as well as visiting with our returning students and families at orientation September 5! If at any time before or during the school year you have questions or concerns, please do call, email, or stop in. We’d love to hear your thoughts as we partner to make this a fantastic year!
Principal Mark Twain Elementary